Monday, June 08, 2009

robertson pie shop, robertson

Found out about this place from the Illawarra Fly website - I'm usually sceptical of places billed as "famous" and it seems that every second pie shop outside metropolitan areas claims to be the best in the country/world/universe. But I was glad we made a pit stop at Robertson Pie Shop during our long weekend sojourn around the South Coast/Southern Highlands - yummy pies and a laid-back atmosphere made it hit home that we were on holidays :)


My potato pie. There's really nothing like instant mashed potato, especially since my proposal to take a packet camping was vetoed.


The all-important sauce anointing ritual. I think that's the curry chicken pie.


A work in progress - a chunky beef pie. Mmmm.


And a before shot of my lemon meringue pie. Crispy fluffy meringue, tart delicious lemon curd... I wonder if they make it in the microwave like they did the other night on Masterchef?

Afterwards. Yum.

We returned to Robertson Pie Shop on our way home to pick up a large steak and mushroom pie and two large sweet pies (apple and rhubarb and apple and strawberry). All very nice (although I didn't get to try the steak and mushroom myself, I'm just going on the fact that it was all gone within the day we got back). Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area - a warning though that the Macquarie Pass (part of Jamberoo Mountain Road, towards the Robertson end) from Albion Park to Robertson is a bit treacherous, but not so nerve-wracking that a warm pie won't settle the tummy.

Robertson Pie Shop
Corner Illawarra Highway and Jamberoo Mountain Road
Robertson NSW 2577

(02) 4885 1330

Open Monday to Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays 8:00am to 7:00pm

During winter the shop's closing at 6:00pm Mondays to Thursdays.

From memory small savoury pies will set you back between $3-$4, small sweet pies from $3. Large pies around the $13 mark.

3 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the goodness of the apple + strawberry pie! Thank you very muchy, twas delicious and much enjoyed by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's ba-ack!

    Nice to be reading your reviews again, flapflap :)

    The handy thing about all those pie shops claiming to be the best in the country/hemisphere/world/universe is that they're far away from the *next* pie shop claiming the same thing that there's no way of actually comparing them. Clever!

    There's a bakery/pie shop in Goulburn that I have particularly fond memories of... but whether the memory of the taste is inflated by the boredom of the drive down to Canberra, I'm not sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yay, I'm glad the pie was appreciated :) Now I'll have to head to Goulburn in my quest to attempt to compare NSW pie shops (even if it may be an impossible task)...

    ReplyDelete